Sunday, January 15, 2006

HOLE IN MY SOUL


I've always believed in the goodness of people.

But an e-mail I received a few months back has been bugging me since....that I feel compelled to write about it.

This is not unlike any other forwarded e-mail that we normally get everyday. The impact it gave however is not something I want to ignore. It may not be a big deal to me, here, now, but I can't imagine what other consequences it may give to others.

Ironically, it was sent by a close friend.

The blaring header says it all: PENIPUAN GEREJA ROMAN CATHOLIC (THE LIES OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH). I don't have to say much about the content.

I'm not an expert in my own religion, nor am I a strong devotee, there are lots that I still need to learn. My point is, this is the type of e-mail that could instill hatred in us. It is so much true where you have people of all walks of life living just next door to one another. It is dangerous if you are ignorant enough to circulate it without checking the addressees. Don't blast other groups if you are not sure what you know and what you understand about them, especially if you are not so sure about yourself. And sadly, it may just fuel a useless conflict where we fight each other for a war that we didn't even start. Scary? Our world has been embroiled in a bloody mess for far too long. Blood is still spilling. We are given the freedom of speech, don't abuse it.

Maybe I'm just a little carried away.

I still want to believe that deep down our intentions are pure.

Respect. That is all it takes.

No comments: