Monday, November 21, 2011

AT LAST

- Etta James -


Chirpy morning, don't you think? So what are you waiting for? Grab your Nikes and I'll race you to the field! Run, let's beat the yawning wind!

Yeah.

About that.

The subject of running.

The only ongoing race I'm relentlessly witnessing is of blisters rapturously popping on my fingertips. The new set of medication is doing its job just fine, but not without its adverse effect.

Lying here for the 5th week now, I just can't help but feel....

....helpless.

Helpless that it's my wedding day in a couple of weeks time. Helpless that I haven't been able to do much in preparing for the big day; zero experience under my (back-bracing) belt. For any bride-to-be, it's when the bouquet, the shoes, the something borrowed, something blue are sorted, tucked away safely, ready. A sixpence. That dress. THE dress.

I've come to terms with my being confined to bed is currently what's best. It means, no scouring for shoes, or dress, just yet. But, you know how it is. Inevitably, you can't stop but think about that last crucial tick in the must-do list.

Because, you see....

....at least....

AT LEAST....

there's something from that special day you can claim yours and yours only. Something one day you can speak of with pride: detailing with great care the softness of chiffon on your skin, the sweet smell of the lily in your hair, the bright sparkle of sequins and silky laces on your shoes.

Helpless.

Then, in my moment of sadness he comes,

"Cheer up", he says, "It's all going to be OK"

"At least....", he smiles,

....You have me."

And life, as Etta says, is like a song.

Love, has come along.



- image taken from Amy Simon's flickr

1 comment:

Shaista said...

Love has indeed come along (along with his family ;)) and the wedding dress, shoes, bouquet, hair, make up, were simply perfect.
No lily in your hair, but something blue on your arm, which was also something old, and new (Marry Merry rules!).... And maybe you borrowed my passport for witness at the ceremony?!

You did it!! Back brace and all! Angelina and Rizwan Tayabali! Woo hoo!!!